Families like yours have trusted the Bekins Family for generations. Founded by brothers John and Martin in 1891, Bekins began operations in Sioux City, Iowa, with only three horse drawn vans and twelve employees. Since then, we’ve grown into one of the nation’s largest moving and storage companies with nearly 250 U.S. locations. Over the years we have expanded the scope of our services to include tradeshow services and high value products, as well as international relocations.
The heritage of moving and storage leadership written by Bekins began in the horse and buggy days and has continued into the international Information Age. Whereas a strong back was the primary criterion for moving goods in the late 1800s, information technology and 24/7 visibility to shipments define today's moving and storage industry. Not only has Bekins changed with the times, we have led both the national and international industries with many important advancements.
Bekins has led the way in moving and storage through innovation:
- Bekins was the first to specialize in moving household goods
- When covered moving vans were introduced, they carried the Bekins name
- Bekins led the moving and storage business away from horse-drawn wagons with the first motor trucks-1903
- The first concrete and steel warehouse was built by Bekins-1906
- The first transcontinental motor van move was completed by Bekins-1928
- In 1960, The Bekins Company established Bekins Wide World, later known as Bekins International
- Bekins becomes a leader in residential delivery services, later named HomeDirectUSA-1994
- Bekins led an industry consortium to develop the CPM (Certified Professional Mover) program, a CD-ROM based training module-1995
- Bekins is the first van line to earn CPM status-1996
- Bekins is the first van line to install a nationwide warehouse and storage management system to assist in order management and tracking-1997
- Bekins is purchased by Wheaton World Wide Moving in March 2012
We continue this innovation with our “No Excuse Price™” program. For binding and not-to-exceed estimates -- you'll never have a shuttle fee. This is the industry’s only true guaranteed price offering. Our “For All It’s Worth™” valuation protection was the first full replacement value protection program offering pairs and sets coverage. At Bekins, providing our customers with the best value and service is our main goal.
Our history combined with our continued focus on meeting new challenges while meeting customer expectations have allowed Bekins the privilege of moving families across the globe for over 120 years.