10. Update your driver’s license and license plate. There is a lot to think about during the moving process, especially once you’ve arrived to your new location. There are boxes to be unpacked, furniture to be arranged, and schedules to coordinate. Going to the BMV to change your driver’s license… Continue reading.
9. Clean your new house upon arrival. The idea of cleaning as soon as you arrive in a new house might sound unappealing. There are so many other things to do – why should I waste time cleaning first thing? Bekins understands just how much has to get done within… Continue reading.
8. Save your receipts This might seem like an archaic habit, but saving your receipts during a move is extremely important. Remember that blog post we had earlier about buying a notebook? If you buy a big notebook with lots of pockets to organize, it won’t be hard to save… Continue reading.
7. Use packing labels. During the packing and moving process, it’s tempting to want to stuff items haphazardly into boxes just to get the job done. You will thank yourself though if you employ a little bit of organization to your packing process and pack by room. Packing room-by-room gives… Continue reading.
6. Once you know the layout of your new home, sketch a floor plan. Moving and relocation can definitely be a daunting task. Nothing is really simple when moving – even deciding what furniture to take. The furniture that fits in your current house might not fit in your new… Continue reading.
5. Donate your non-perishable food items If you went to look in your food pantry right now, what would you see? Probably a lot of non-perishable food items, many of which are in heavy aluminum or tin cans. If you know that most moving companies charge not only by the… Continue reading.
4. Don’t forget to change the locks on your new house. We know that there are countless things to think about once you make a big move and start settling in to your new home. One good thing to keep in the back of your mind is to change the locks… Continue reading.
3. Keep your boxes as light as possible. It is tempting to try to be extremely efficient and fit as much as possible in to each of your moving boxes. The hazard with doing that is that the boxes can become overstuffed and too heavy. We recommend not putting more… Continue reading.
2. Take pictures of your electronics before you unhook and pack them up. There’s nothing worse than unhooking a complicated sound system and realizing you don’t have the manual to help you re-hook it up. We’re extremely visual people, so take several pictures. Take them from different angles. Have a variety… Continue reading.
1. Invest in a high-quality notebook Organization during a move is so important. Throughout the moving process, you’ll probably acquire lots of loose papers, receipts, notes, business cards and more. It’s easy to lose these materials, so we’ve found purchasing a notebook complete with pouches, big pages, and folders is… Continue reading.