During your move, it is important to use the correct packing materials needed to protect your possessions. This will alleviate any damage during transit. Bekins recommends using various size cartons for specific items.
- Book cartons (1.5 cu. Ft.) are small, easy to handle cartons designed for heavy items like books, CD’s, and DVD’s. Be sure not to overload the carton, as it may become too heavy for handling. Be sure to individually wrap any very old or valuable books.
- Medium cartons (3 cu. ft.) have a wide range of uses for smaller items throughout your home. This size box is ideal for small appliances, tools, non-perishable food or clothing. Packing similar items together will make unpacking easier.
- Large cartons (4.5 cu. ft. to 6.5 cu. ft.) are very useful for packing light weight, bulky items such as pillows, linens and large toys.
- Dishpacks are especially sturdy cartons for fragile items such as china, glassware, figurines and sculptures. These cartons are reinforced with cellular inserts to further protect items such as crystal stemware. Each carton should be labeled, “Fragile-This End Up” to avoid damage.
- Upright Cartons are used for lamps, statues and other items that require a special size.
- Wardrobe Boxes are “portable” closets used to move your clothing from your closet. Clothing remains on hangers so that they stay wrinkle-free and clean.
- Mirror/Picture Cartons are specially designed telescoping cartons that fit mirrors, pictures and glass tabletops exactly. Each carton has heavy corrugated braces that reinforce each corner.
- Mattress Cartons are available from crib to king mattress sizes and they will protect mattresses and box springs from dirt and tearing and help to provide structural support to avoid bending.
- Packing Paper should be unprinted and used for wrapping and padding.
Please be aware that your electronic equipment may require special preparation. Be sure to detach all cords and wires and keep them in a labeled bag so that you know where they belong. When moving computers, scanners or printers, be sure to detach cords and wires, paper trays, etc, and label all cables and wires for easy re-assembly. Be sure to use well padded, sturdy cartons to cushion the equipment. Mark these items, “fragile”. Flat screen TV’s, (plasmas, LCD’s or LED’s) will require extra padding and protection. If possible, pack it in its original carton. If these cartons are not available, consider crating the item prior to moving day.
And don’t forget to have plenty of packing tape on hand! And, if you decide it’s just too much to do yourself, contact Bekins!