Moving from one home to another can be overwhelming, especially when it means relocating to a new state. But your move doesn’t have to be stressful. With a bit of preparation and the right professional help, you and your family can have a safe, successful move – and even have a little fun along the way, too!
To help you get started, we’ve put together our best advice on how to plan for moving, particularly when you’ve hired professional movers to help. This household moving guide contains some smart and simple tips to prepare you for moving day, so you can stay calm throughout the process and focus on what’s really important: the new adventure ahead of you.
8–12 weeks before you move
- If you own your home, contact your real estate agent to begin the selling process.
- Establish your preferred moving dates.
- Research your new community by using Bekins on-line moving tools.
- Compare school districts
- Obtain free city reports
- Use our salary and mortgage calculators to compare
- Set up a house-hunting trip to your new city.
- Find out if your employer will be paying for the move, or will be providing you with a lump sum or a direct reimbursement.
- Have a garage sale or donate goods you do not want to move. This will help you save costs on the move.
4-8 weeks before you move
- Contact your local Bekins agent to schedule a convenient time for a free estimate.
- Purchase your new home; arrange financing; establish close dates.
- Make a list of everyone you need to notify of your move.
- Obtain change of address cards from your local post office.
- Check with your school on transferring your children’s school records.
- Research driver’s license requirements for the state you are moving to.
- Find out from the IRS or your accountant if moving expenses are tax deductible.
- Contact your insurance agent to discuss your insurance needs for your new home.
- Select a new bank in your new city.
- Begin to organize your medical and dental records.
3 weeks before you move
- Make a decision on whether you will pack your own cartons or if you’d like to utilize Bekins professional packing service.
- Begin the packing process if you are doing it yourself.
- Compile all personal records.
- Change your address on credit cards, magazine subscriptions.
- If you have children, arrange for them to be at a babysitter during loading day.
- Arrange to have your utilities disconnected after your move-out day.
- Arrange to connect your utilities the day before your scheduled move-in day.
2 weeks before you move
- Plan to use all the food in your refrigerator and freezer.
- Clean your home and clear basement and attics.
- Cancel all current delivery services such as newspapers.
- Dispose of all flammables, cleaners, paints, aerosols, ammunition, etc.
- Transfer all current prescriptions to your new local pharmacy.
- Clear out your safety deposit box. Transfer bank accounts.
- Be sure that you have packed everything in advance.
- Drain the oil and gasoline from your lawn mower, and other power tools if they are to be moved.
One week before you move
- Confirm your travel arrangements for your family.
- Provide contact phone numbers for your Bekins agent so that you are accessible during your move.
- Empty and clean your refrigerator and freezer, clean your stove, etc.
- Only use those household items that you’ll need, such as sheets, towels, a few pans and dishes. Make sure everything else is ready to be moved.
- Review all paperwork with your Bekins driver.
- Be available to check off inventory of all items moving.
- Once moving van is loaded, double check that nothing was left behind in closets, basement, attic, cabinets, drawers, etc.
- Make sure your children and pets are not at home so that they do not get in the way of the movers.
- Make sure you are at your new home to meet the movers to accept the delivery and finish financial obligation
- Inspect your items as the movers unload the truck by checking it off of your inventory form.
- If any item is damaged, make sure to indicate this on the form.
- Finally, unpack and get settled in to your new home.