The Bekins Blog
Frequently Asked Questions about Moving Day
What can I expect on moving day?
On moving day, you can relax and leave all of the hard work to the professional movers. When a Bekins driver arrives at your home, he will conduct an initial walk-through of your home. This is a good opportunity to let the driver know what items will be shipped and which items will stay. This also allows the driver to visualize how your belongings will best fit in the truck.
The driver and his crew will then prepare your house by protecting the floors and doorways. Once loading is ready to begin, the driver will use the inventory form to document the items, and their condition, going on the truck. The driver and his crew will wrap furniture pads (specially designed blankets) around your furniture to protect it from scratches and other damage. Overstuffed furniture (couches, etc.) will be wrapped in stretch wrap to help prevent damage. Once an item is properly protected it will be loaded on the truck.
Do you take protect certain areas of the home when moving the furniture?
When moving your household goods, Bekins Van Lines takes precautions throughout the home to make sure no walls get scratched and no mud on the carpets. Before actually moving anything, the crew from Bekins will go through the house and put protection on the carpets, stairs, walls and doorways to ensure nothing gets damaged while moving your belongings to or from the house.
Do I have to be there the whole time?
It is recommended for you to be present on loading and unloading day to avoid any possible errors in communication. On loading day, you must be there to review and sign the Bill of Lading, which is a receipt for your goods and the contract for their transportation. On the day of unloading, you will need to be available to check and review your inventory as it is coming off of the truck.
When will you be able to let me know about the weight of the shipment?
Most of the time, the driver will be able to let you know within one to two days. The weighing is all dependent on what time the loading is completed and if the driver can get to the weigh station when it is open.
Will I have the same driver/helpers at the destination?
There is a possibility that your driver will be different from loading to the delivery. The crew will be different as they are usually from a local agent in the area that you are moving to or from.
What is a shuttle?
Shuttle service is a smaller vehicle to provide service when the residence is not accessible to the mover’s normal equipment. A Shuttle service at origin involves loading the goods onto a smaller vehicle then transporting and offloading them onto the mover’s normal equipment. The process is reversed at destination. Depending on the weight of the shipment, this could involve several trips with the smaller vehicle. The shuttle charge is based on a rate-per-hundred weight.
How will I know when my shipment is going to be delivered?
Your driver will contact you 48 hours prior to the delivery of your belongings. Confirm with the driver your destination contact information prior to his departure from your origin residence.
Who do I contact if my shipment is delayed beyond my delivery dates?
In the unfortunate situation that your belongings will not be delivered within the delivery spread that is stated on the Bill of Lading, please contact our customer service department at 1-800-932-7799. A customer service representative will be able to answer your questions and provide delivery updates. You should also feel free to contact us electronically if you prefer.
Who do I contact if my household goods were damaged during my move?
In the unfortunate instance that an item was damaged during the move, please contact Bekins claims department at 1-800-992-5202. A claims adjuster will be assigned and he or she will review the claim and contact you, if necessary, with any further instructions. Please take note of the following details on the claims process:
- All claims must be filed in writing, within nine months of the date of delivery to residence. If your goods were placed into storage-in-transit, and remain in storage in excess of 180 days, you have nine months from the date of conversion to permanent storage in which to file a claim.
- Please do not discard or repair any items without prior authorization from this office, as we reserve the right to inspect all claimed items.
- If you are claiming any damaged items which were packed, please indicate whether or not the carton was damaged. Please also save the packing material and carton for our inspection.
- Please describe the nature and location of damages for each article claimed, and furnish repair estimates whenever possible to support the claim.
- Please provide the manufacturer’s name, the model, and the serial number of any appliances or electronics equipment claimed as missing or damaged.
- Copies of original purchase receipts should be submitted with your claim for items requiring replacement.
- Please make certain that all items you wish to claim are included on your claim form, and that the claim form does constitute your complete and entire claim.
Learn more about the Claims Process.
Are there any questions about the moving/loading day that we might have missed? Ask below!