Do You Have Relocation Depression?

Relocation depression is a common problem for many recent movers. Depressed people may often feel sad, but that isn’t necessarily the only symptom. If you’re having trouble concentrating, sleeping, or adjusting, you may be depressed. Like all depression, relocation depression is a real problem that should be taken seriously.

Relocation depression is a natural phenomenon, and you should never be ashamed of feeling it. Moving can be a very stressful and emotional time. You may have to say goodbye to family and friends or pull up roots to move to an unfamiliar neighborhood. You’ll have to adjust to a different language, culture, or lifestyle. It’s natural to feel sad or nostalgic after a move. That doesn’t mean you should ignore your feelings, however. If you think you might be depressed, you should seek professional help. You don’t have to cope with relocation depression on your own. Here’s what you should know about the depression might be feeling right now, and how to cope with it.

Signs You Have Depression

Many people confuse depression with generalized sadness about a situation. However, sadness makes up one factor of overall depression. Some people who experience depression don’t even feel sad. Instead, they experience other symptoms, like a loss of interest in pleasurable activities, difficulty concentrating, and constant distraction.

Be on the lookout for the following scenarios:

You Can’t Pull Yourself Out of Bed

After a strenuous move, you’ll understandably want a few days to recover and let your sore muscles heal.

If you wake up tired every day or require 12 hours of sleep or more, however, consider your tiredness a symptom of depression.

You Binge on Netflix

The occasional Netflix binge is a fun way for you and your family to bond. Together, you can catch up on the latest series that you may have missed while you were moving.

If you watch Netflix alone for hours simply because nothing else interests you, however, you could have depression.

You Can’t Leave Facebook Alone

Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites will let you maintain long-distance relationships long after you move.

If you feel the urge to check social media constantly, however, take that urge as an indication of depression. Studies show that individuals who participate in “surveillance usage” and compare their lives to others often suffer from depression.

Ways to Cope with Relocation Depression

If you struggle with depression after you move, you can take steps to feel more comfortable, relaxed, and happy. Try some of the following methods to see if they work for you:

Create a Familiar Environment

If your home feels strange or unfamiliar to you, unpack a few of your treasured belongings and put them in a place you’ll see on a regular basis.

For example, hang that favorite photo of you and your best friend at the beach near your bathroom mirror. Or cuddle up with an old throw pillow, even if it doesn’t match your new décor. You’ll remind yourself that not everything has changed with your new location.

Try New, Active Hobbies

Depression can make your old hobbies seem uninteresting, frustrating, or even painful. But that doesn’t mean you should stop your creative thinking entirely. Explore new hobbies that will keep you moving and active.

For example, you could join a yoga group at the gym or sign up for a photography class at your community center.

Make New Friends

First impressions and introductions feel awkward at first, but try to get to know your new neighbors and make friends with the regulars you see at your grocery store or laundromat. A familiar face in an unfamiliar place can seem like a welcome balm during a depressing time.

And remember, you don’t have to give up your previous relationships either. Don’t be afraid to call your best friend, even if he or she lives miles away.

Need Help?

While the above coping methods work well for some people, they don’t present a cure-all for everyone. If you struggle with depression or can’t seem to shake feelings of emptiness, talk to a medical professional about your situation.

Tagged in: , , , ,

15 Comments to “Do You Have Relocation Depression?”
  1. I moved 2000 miles away feom all family and support system for job advancemeNt, i realize i’m falling deeper into a heavy depression thats impacting my health and job.

• Hang In there lisa, i Too rec moved for my husbands career ADVANCEMENT. I have moved in the past but this time i feel completely lost. Reach out to some groups Of peOple with similar personal interests within your community. I hope that this message helps you. Good luck with your transition.

2. I am from INDIA, HAVE TO MOVE TO ANOTHER CITY. I’VE BEEN LIVING IN MY CURRENT PLACE FOR MORE THAN 14 YEARS NOW, HENCE FEELING LITTLE APPREHENSIVE ABOUT WHAT WILL HAPPEN IN THE NEW PLACE. ALSO I AM ATTACHED TO THIS PLACE AND DON’T REALLY WANT TO LEAVE. REALLY DEPRESSED, DON’T KNOW HOW TO OVERCOME THIS SITUATION.

3. I recently moved 1700 miles away from home. And i decided for my health and well being aFter a year i will be going back home. Im giving it a year cuz i think that is more than enough time to figure out if it was a right fiT. I never experienced depression or anxiety Until I Moved.

4. My husband and I have always wanted to move out if state to retire. But now we are packing to go and I can’t stop crying. Every time I think about leaving my grown successful kids and friends I cry. Nothing is bad about the move, it’s a nice home, great state great husband. I just can’t get a grip on my crying.

5. I mOveD from utah to florida and i keep asking myself if i made the right decision. I lived Here for 7 months and i still feel lost. I have

6. I am so glad i am not alone. I moved back to my hOmetown after fifteen years away and i feel awful. I gave up a great old life to be here And it shows. While i have a new house, good support, etc., it just doesnt feel the same and i find myself wishing for my old life. Hopefully the feelings pass soon.

7. Emil johnard alingalan

Hello im 17 yrs old my depression started when my mom insanely wanted to move to her hometown which is reall really far from my hometown. Help me. Everytime we went on a vacation on my hometown and went back to our new hometown i feel very sad and emotional. I cant help it

8. Emil johnard alingalan

I dont really wanna leave my hometown but because school is important and my school and family is in the “new hometown” i have no choice but to go with them and suffer living in this new hometown i hate

9. I moved from wisconsin to texas 5 years ago in dallas. i have been going through depression on and off as well. i got my degree, got a good job in it moved back home to green bay didnt work out and moved back to dallas due to work and things didnt work out. things were alot easier back in wisconsin i guess since im a small town guy. moving to a big city like dallas has been good for jobs but making friends has been difficult. easy here and there but never seems to work out. i tried ft worth and it was worth it but most are jus casual nothing close or direct for most part. idk im thinking of either moving back one day or going to the northwest. i need a smaller area and small town feel with no uppity around it lol.

10. not to mention its alot easier making friends in a small city without the traffic distance and too many ppl. yea i am lost.

11. Rhea Motwani

I have moved to a lovely place but I am constantly at war with myself because I miss the comfort of my old home.i am stuck in a dellima because I have the option of going back home but I feel I am not giving this beautiful home a chance… going back to previous home is not a come down in any way. Both houses are fantastic… there are a couple of negatives in the new house which were unexpected..it’s a very noisy area as compared to our previous house.
    We had our club close-by…now kids have also left so more loneliness to deal with in a new area isscaring me.
    I am constantly anxious and regret moving.
    Please let me know if I should just move back and gain peace of mind

12. We just moved from my jone state/city Seattle WA to Austin TX. I hate it here and want to go home so bad. Ive been staying in bed crying. Its too hot to leave the house. My husband has wanted to move here for years so i finally said Ok. Biggest mistake.

• Hi i just MOved too and i cant stop crying. All i want to do is go back to my old place where i have so many memories.