Moving boxes aren’t just single-size squares you throw your stuff in and schlep across town. They come in many different sizes with many different purposes. Find out which boxes best fit your situation.
What different types of moving boxes are there?
Yup. You read that right. There’s more than one type of moving box. We’ll start by covering the three main sizes: small, medium and large.
- Small boxes typically measure between twelve and fourteen inches long. They’re best for small yet heavy items. Books, small appliances and kitchen tools are ideal for this size.
- Medium boxes are the type of box you see the most when moving. They’re your basic, everyday box. These boxes typically measure between fourteen and eighteen inches in length and are versatile for your packing needs.
- Large boxes typically measure between eighteen and twenty-four inches long. Large boxes are for bulky but lightweight items: clothes, pillows, bedding, stuffed animals and other linens.
It doesn’t stop there. Now you have your specialty boxes. Specialty boxes have a specific purpose. For example:
- Wardrobe boxes are especially tall and contain an interior fixture that allows you to hang your clothing inside, making it easier to transport without damaging or wrinkling it. Wardrobe boxes are large and will require some assistance to move, but they can save you a lot of trouble when you unpack.
- Dish boxes have two main features: 1. They’re made from heavy-duty cardboard that can withstand the weight of heavy dishes. 2. They also come with built-in dividers that keep dishes from touching one another. This will help you avoid potential breaks and other issues.
How do you decide which boxes to get?
The boxes you get depends on what items you have and how much you have. A good rule of thumb is that for each room you’ll need eight small, five medium, and three large boxes. Of course, this will vary from person to person, but it’s a good starting point.
Make packing for your next move easier with the right supplies. The appropriate moving boxes can make all the difference between an easy move and a difficult one. If you need help with packing or getting your items from point A to point B, call the team at Bekins.