The Bekins Blog
Packing Boxes Like a Pro
Set yourself up for success on moving day by becoming your own professional packer. From creating a packing timeline to color-coding your moving boxes, there’s plenty you can do to pack like a pro!
Packing up your entire life can be stressful, to say the least. Having confidence that you can keep your belongings organized and safe while they’re transported from point A to point B can help relieve a ton of moving day stress. Whether you’re moving across town or across the country, make your experience easier by packing like the pros.
How do I stay organized while moving?
It’s important to keep your stuff in order while moving. These tips might seem like more work in the moment, but we promise, future you will thank us!
- Make a timeline. Write out what you’re going to pack and when you’re going to pack it. The best areas to start with are storage areas like your basement, attic or shed. Then, move on to the rooms you use the most and work your way down to the rooms you use the least.
- Get rid of unwanted items. Packing things you no longer want would be a waste of space and time. While you’re packing, set aside the items you want to throw out, give away or sell.
- Create a moving inventory. Sort out your belongings before you start packing. This way, you can keep track of your possessions during the entire moving process. This will also help you get an accurate idea of your moving costs.
- Color code or number your rooms. Use a marker or colored tape to color-code each box with its corresponding room. This way, when the boxes are being unloaded into your new home, you can tell exactly where they’re supposed to go.
- Keep documents/paperwork together. Medical and financial records, moving-related paperwork, car registration and your driver’s license, for example, should all be together in one spot. This will be helpful when you need to update information post-move.
- Pack an essentials box or bag. From the things you need to prepare a quick meal to shower necessities, it will be nice to have the bare necessities when your entire life is packed up.
How do I pack boxes for moving?
Packing up your belongings is not as simple as throwing them into any old box—it takes time and energy if you want to get it done right. Follow these tips to make the most out of the space you have and to keep your items from getting damaged.
- Give your boxes some back up. No matter how strong you think a box may be, make sure you reinforce the bottom of any cardboard box with quality packing tape. This is especially important if you’ve used this box before.
- Put the heavy stuff at the bottom. Make your box more stable by putting the heaviest items in the box first. This will create a good base for your box so it’s not as likely to tip over during the move—plus, the heavy stuff won’t smush the light items!
- Don’t waste space. Fill any open spots in boxes with soft stuff. Scarves, towels, and blankets can all help cushion fragile items. The soft things need to be packed anyway, so put them to work!
- Spread the wealth. Make sure you’re not putting all of your heavy items in one box. Remember, you’re probably going to need to lift it at some point. Have a ton of books? Spread them out in multiple boxes and pack them with some lighter items. It’s best to keep boxes under 50 pounds.
- Seal the deal. Once your boxes are packed, seal up the box with packing tape. Insurers don’t usually cover damage to items that were in boxes that weren’t sealed properly.
How do I pack fragile items?
Some of the most stressful items to pack during a move are your breakable items. Along with the tips above, here are some ways you can ensure your fragile items make it out of the move unharmed:
- Use small boxes. Items like glassware and porcelain should be separated into smaller boxes to make sure they don’t break under the pressure of a heavier box.
- Wrap each item. Everything that is fragile should be wrapped separately.
- Stuff hollow items. Vases, bowls, and jars, for example, should be stuffed with packing paper.
Follow our helpful tips and tricks and you’ll be packing like a pro in no time! Once your items are packed and ready to go, get in touch with the moving experts at Bekins. Our team is dedicated to delivering your items to your new home as safely and efficiently as possible!