The Bekins Blog
7 Best Moving Tips for Your Next Long-Distance Move from a Reputable Moving Company
When looking for the best reputable moving company for your next long-distance move, knowing where to start and how to look for the right movers can be tough to do. Additionally, once you’ve found your long distance moving services, you’ll then need to figure out how to plan out your moving process so it’s as stress-free and efficient as possible.
Long distance moving involves a lot more variables and things to think about than a local moving, and requires a lot more planning and attention to detail in order to make sure that your things arrive to you quickly and safely. Plus, you’ll of course look for the most affordable long distance moving options so that you can move to and settle into your new home with all of your things, without having to worry about money or completely breaking the bank. After all, that wouldn’t exactly make for a great way to get used to your new environment!
To set you up for success, we’ll run you through not only the best moving tips to get you set up for success, but will show you how to choose the right long distance moving services for you and your family.
How to Choose a Long Distance Moving Company
Before we provide you with the best moving tips to set you up for success during your move, let’s tackle the first thing you should take care of before any moving process gets under way: hiring the right movers!
As we said before, long distance moving requires a lot more planning and attention to detail than your average local moving process – especially if you have a lot of items or if you’re looking to move your office or business. Your movers should be prepared for anything when it comes to your move, and should have the expertise and experience to ensure that your items arrive safely and efficiently, and for the right price.
When researching long-distance movers, make sure you make note of companies who have specialities specifically in long-distance relocations. Working with a company with many years of experience and who has conducted many successful out-of-state or international moves is the best way to ensure that your items will be kept safe and that you’ll receive the best relocation experience possible.
On top of making sure your prospective moving company has experience in the type of moving you’re embarking upon, you’ll also want to make sure they have the right certifications and licenses. Make sure they’re accredited and have the backing of federal or state moving institutions.
In addition to this, look up your possible company’s reviews on Google or on the Better Business Bureau. Look up reviews across several websites to ensure that you’re not missing anyone’s experiences, or that the company hasn’t been removing negative experiences. Getting real customers’ accurate experiences of their experiences with your moving company is imperative to making sure you’re receiving the best service and the best rates (and aren’t falling victim to a scam, either!). Using a moving company’s services who have a lot of positive reviews is the best way to make sure you’ll also have a positive experience with these movers.
If looking up online reviews isn’t enough, you can also always ask around to family or friends who have moved long-distance themselves, and see if they’d had particularly good experiences with professional movers. If these movers are in your price range, definitely check them out to see if they’ll work for your move as well.
Long-Distance Moving Tips
Now that you’ve got the right long-distance movers for you booked and locked in for your moving date, it’s time to start on the moving process itself! To have the most efficient packing and moving process possible, you’ll want to start early and have the right strategy to set yourself up for success. Keep reading for your best long-distance moving tips.
- Think About Moving Costs: When planning out your move, keep in mind that movers usually charge based on three factors: distance, weight of the items being moved, and whether or not any specialized services have been added on. Luckily for you, Bekins Lines doesn’t believe in hidden costs.
Prior to your move, we’ll calculate an estimate to give you the best idea of the price you’ll be looking at before your items are on our trucks. This will be based on estimated weight of the items and the distance of the move in question, so you’re not met with any unfavorable surprises.
- Make a Budget: Make sure that you have planned properly and thoroughly to make a budget that is realistic and airtight for your moving process. Budgeting out the cost of your moving company is only one step in your process – you also need to anticipate unforeseen costs or hiccups related to your transition or new home to make sure you’re not breaking the bank.
- Declutter Your Items: Clear out items that you don’t want, use, or need. Decluttering will not only make packing a lot easier but will let you save money on your movers as well.
- Gather Packing Materials: If you’re not using Bekins Van Lines’ professional packing services, and are taking matters into your own hands, a great way to save on your move is by repurposing items you already have as packing materials.
From blankets, to sheets, to old t-shirts, to socks, you can put plenty of your items to use in order to save on the cost of bubble wrap or other materials. As far as boxes and plastic totes are concerned, you can ask around for cardboard boxes or free moving supplies from your family, friends, or even businesses nearby that might have extra supplies available.
- Begin Packing: Once you’ve gotten rid of the things you don’t need or want and have gathered the right materials for your move, it’s time to start the packing process! Take things room by room, and try not to take on too much at once to avoid getting overwhelmed.
- Get Ready for Moving Day: Pack up the things you’ll want to keep with you while your things are en route to your destination. Things like day-to-day outfits, documents, toiletries, and items for your children and pets will be needed while you’re waiting on your things.
- Get Your Kids & Pets Ready: Talk to your children and try to give your pets a little extra love before your moving day. Make sure they know why you’re moving and how it will help the entire family. Make sure their things are taken care of and packed properly.
Once you’ve gotten packed up and ready to go, you’re good to go for your move! If you haven’t found the right long-distance movers for you yet, check out the specialized moving packages that Bekins Van Lines has available for you and your family.